The world of sports, politics, and pop culture blended together in a less than normal mind

Friday, July 17

It isn't going to happen, but if it did, here's what I would do

Okay, let’s get this right out in the open right now: I don’t believe for one second that Roy Halladay is being traded to either the Yankees or the Red Sox. Seriously, folks, put yourself in the shoes of Blue Jay’s GM J.P. Riccardi; how would you justify trading your best player and the face of your franchise to one of your division rivals for prospects?
Hey, we may all know who Jesus Montero, Austin Jackson, and Phil Hughes are, but do you think a Blue Jay fan knows, or cares one wink, about those names? If you do, here is a pop quiz: who is the best prospect in Toronto’s system? If you asked the three hard-core Jays fans in Toronto that question, it would roll off the tongue, but damned if I know. So, if the Yankees traded CC Sabathia or Derek Jeter for one of those guys, or even three of them, would it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?
Of course not.
The Halladay deal is going to be painful for fans no matter what. Trading him in division is like spitting in their face while you’re signing the agreement.
BUT…………….
Alright, let’s play in media fantasy land for a second and say that Toronto would trade Halladay to the Bronx. Who would I be willing to give up in that kinda trade?
Well, let’s lop off some names right off the bat: Jeter, Posada, Teixeira, A-Rod, Matsui, Sabathia, Burnett, Pettitte, and Mariano. Those guys are either a.) too old, b.) making too much money, c.) aren’t available, or d.) all of the above. Whichever letter you pick, it means no go.
Two guys who are highly unlikely but just missed making that list are Robinson Cano and Nick Swisher. Cano is young and is tremendously talented, but his inability to hit in the clutch makes him a prime candidate for “can’t handle New York” status once more is asked of him and his easy-going style of play can rub some New Yorkers the wrong way. Problem with trading him to the Jays is this: he is getting paid $42 million and they already have a pretty darn good second baseman in Aaron Hill.
All sides point to no on Cano.
Swisher? Well, again, I highly doubt the Jays would take on his contract and .242 average, but he does have power, is only 28, and can play multiple positions. That makes him more attractive than the other guys, but still a long shot.
No, this comes down to the younger guys who are either already on the team, or expected in the next few years. Of course, if the Blue Jays are worth their weight in gold they know the Yankee system better than I, so I’m sure there are names they know and like that I won’t be mentioning. But at least a few of these guys will HAVE to be included, one would think.
Let’s start with the guys I would ABSOLUTELY be willing to give up in a Halladay deal: Melky Cabrera, Phil Coke, Dave Robertson, Andrew Brackman, Austin Jackson, Zack McAllister, Dellin Betances, Brett Gardner, and Mark Melancon.
I don’t think there is any shocker in there except for Austin Jackson.
First, I buy into Jackson, I really do. I like the kid A LOT. Anyone catch some of the minor’s All Star Game last night? Jackson hit a triple off the right-center field wall that he absolutely crushed. It was an opposite field rocket shot and he was motoring. And, supposedly, he is a very good fielder as well.
I think the power will come, but not in 35-4- range, probably the 20+ range, which is still pretty good for a kid who might steal 40+ bases.
But outfielders are probably the easiest commodity to get on the market and the Yankees have some decent ones already. Save a sweep to the Angels before the break, the Yankees were essentially tied with the Red Sox for the division with an outfield of Brett Gardner, Johnny Damon, Nick Swisher, and Melky Cabrera. You can win with that outfield, although it is, I admit, not ideal.
Plus, if you let Jackson go, you would undoubtedly hang onto Gardner, and I am a big fan of the little man. I think he might be the type of rugged, hustle player the Yankees have been looking for. You need those kinda guys. That, to me, makes Jackson somewhat expendable.
If, for some reason, the Jays want Gardner, than Jackson is your man in center, but you have a surplus there, making him expendable.
Also, while I like the upside of Melancon and am not scared off at all by his poor performances when called up, he is a reliever. You can find, or make, relievers if you have to.
Here are the three guys I would think about but would be VERY reticent to give up: Franscico Cervelli, Austin Romine, and Phil Hughes.
I know, Cervelli probably doesn’t deserve to be on this list considering he hasn’t been touted as a big-time prospect and was only in the majors for a limited time. But you had to be impressed with this young man. He has superior defensive skills and his offensive game was a lot better than I think most people realized. I like him a lot but would probably be willing to part with him, although I admit it would be tough.
Romine is supposedly a more refined catcher than highly touted Jesus Montero and his power numbers are not that far off either. But none of us have ever seen the young man on the big stage and the Yankees are stocked at the catcher position. With so many options (Cervelli, Montero, and young prospects at the lower levels) coming at catcher, giving up Romine would be a possibility.
Now to the big debate.
Here is how I look at Hughes versus Joba (and, in my mind, that’s the debate): Hughes has two legit pitches right now while Joba has three with a coming-along changeup that will make four; Hughes was shaky at best while in the rotation while Joba, aside from his last three starts, has been solid; Hughes was throwing 91-92, touching 94 while in the rotation, then amped it up when he went to the pen, while Joba has been averaging 92-94, touching 96 on good days; Hughes has been far more injury prone than Joba; Hughes, while having wonderful early success in the pen so far, hasn’t shown it over a long stretch, while Joba has, meaning he could be put back in the pen and excel; and Joba is just simply more seasoned at this point.
Trust me, I am a converted Hughes denier and I believe the young man will be very good, but I like Joba more. If it came down to Hughes or Joba, I would part with Hughes first.
Now, here are the two guys I wouldn’t touch: Joba Chamberlain and Jesus Montero.
I just explained my “Joba over Hughes” theory but I think it also needs to be pointed out that Joba, up until three weeks ago, was the most untouchable player on the team and Hughes, a month ago, was so shaky people were questioning what you could get for him on the open market. Only in New York could that change overnight.
Joba has the stuff to not just be good but to be great. You don’t trade that simply because of some bad starts and stupid post-game press conferences.
And Jesus Montero? This kid has the chance to be a Manny Ramirez-type hitter, I honestly believe that, and I don’t think you pass up on that kind of talent.
He is big, he has power, he has patience, and he is only 19. This could be one of the most special players the Yankees have produced in YEARS.
For everyone worried about whether he will be a catcher or not, I have an easy solution: move him to one of the corner outfield spots.
Seriously, the kid is 19 and, from what I have seen, can run a little bit. He doesn’t have to be a DH or a first baseman. Move him there now, let him make his mistakes, then stick him in left field for his career. You already have Cervelli, a great defensive catcher, and Romine, who might be every bit as good with more offensive upside. Put Montero in a position of need. The Yankees don’t have power-hitting outfielders waiting to come up. Make him your Manny Ramirez without the steroids. Don’t let that kind of player go.
I have heard some people suggest that the Yankees “bite the bullet” like the Red Sox did a few years back when they traded Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez for Josh Beckett. Couple of points to remember about that: first, Beckett was significantly younger than Halladay is now and had a proven track record in the postseason, something Halladay, who has mostly pitched meaningless games in his life, doesn’t have; second, the Sox didn’t already have some proven pitchers and young studs on the way. I doubt they would make that same trade today, given the depth and talent they have now; finally, the only thing that makes that trade palatable is the fact that the Sox won a championship. What if they had fallen short? Hanley Ramirez has become a superstar. Jesus Montero could be the same way.
Like I said, it doesn’t matter because they aren’t trading in division, if at all, but if I were giving up my players, my only two off limits would be Joba and Jesus.

No comments: