The world of sports, politics, and pop culture blended together in a less than normal mind

Sunday, August 16

A tally of right and wrong calls here in the dog days..........

I have tried posting a couple of times over the last month but, for some reason, blogspot hasn't been very receptive to my desire to opine about all things Yankees, so I'll try it one more time.
Really, things have settled down in Yankee land. In fact, it is the first time in several years where it feels like the dynasty days where, as a fan, you expect the team to win every time they take the field.
So, with the Bombers rolling and the dog days officially here, I thought it would be a good time to take stock of some of the "predictions" I have made throughout the year and see how I'm doing. There is still plenty of time for me to be right or wrong, but August seems to be a perfect time to really see where I stand.

What I was right about:

Oh, the list is so long..............:)
First, the thing I am most proud of is my early championing of Phil Hughes to the pen. While such beat guys like Sweeney Murti and Peter Abraham poo-pooed the idea from the get go, and resident blowhard Mik Francesa emphatically professed that Hughes "won't be good in the pen at all," Franchise has taken to relief work like Lindsay Lohan to a Vegas cathouse. The eighth inning and the "bridge" to Mariano has never been more secur, and Hughes is the biggest reason why. Only required to throw two pitches, Hughes' fastball has added life and his curve is devastating. And there is a swagger about him on the mound that has not been there before. He looks almost annoyed when someone gets a hit or he gives up a walk.
Second, I was right about the pen in general. WHile everyone was suggesting that the pen would NEVER be the equal of other teams' relievers, I predicted the Yankees were not that far away from having a very capable group. Did I know they would be this good? No way. But I saw the talent in Phil Coke, Alfredo Aceves, Brian Bruney, and even David Robertson, all of whom have become valuable commodities in a pen that is about as shut down as you're going to get. Bully for me.
Third, while I can't give myself that much credit for this, I'll take a bow none the less. While the likes of Joel Sherman (another moron making comments with little knowledge to back it up) were suggesting that Derek Jeter was simply a "singles hitter" now and others were typing in their calculations to prove that Jeter was the worst fielder since Todd Hundley ventured out to left field, I quietly predicted that Jeter would have a return-to-form season, which would be a prelude to next season (contract year), which promises to be even better. Right now, Jeter is at .320, 15, 53, 20 stolen bases, and a near .400 OBP. He's on pace for 20 homers, 75+ RBI, 30+ stolen bases, 200 hits, 100 runs, and his best defensive season in the last five. And, yes, I saw it coming.
Fourth, I believe it was me who saw Damon's contract year coming. Of course, a lot of other people did as well, so I'll just add my name to the list. But, remember, it is a list of people who were right about something.
Fifth, I was right that the Yankees were the best team in the East and that the Rays would be the odd ballclub out.

No comments: