The world of sports, politics, and pop culture blended together in a less than normal mind

Sunday, February 1

Quick take on the most uninspiring Super Bowl in years

As a Giants fan, I will admit that my own rooting interests are probably preventing me from truly appreciating this current edition of The Super Bowl. For one, last year's big game, no matter who you call your team, was one of the greatest ever played. The stories lines were great - the perfect team playing for the perfect season against the road warriors who had done the improbable and rattled off road wins in places like Tampa and Dallas and Green Bay to make the final dance - and the stars were out in force. Then, the game itself was terrific, as it combined great defense with clutch performances as both teams played up to their capabilities.
So, few games could compare to that hype, and when you couple that with the fact that the G-Men appeared to be poised for a return to the Bowl this year, and instead were derailed by a gutsy Eagles team and a terrible team performance all around (and the knowledge that Arizona would have NEVER been able to win in the Meadowlands in subzero weather in January), it is truly hard to get up for this game.
But I don't get the sense that I am alone in my apathy. I haven't heard anyone really talking about this game. It seems so ahhhhh. The Steelers are a good team but by no means an immoveable object and the Cardinals story is terrific but, again, they are the Cardinals. I just can't bring myself to root for them all that hard. Nothing in this game would shock me, except for a Cards blowout.
With that being said, let me offer up my prediction for this game.
First, it is amazing to me how many people have jumped on the Cardinals bandwagon. I watched all three games and, to be honest, they just weren't all that impressive. Don't get me wrong, they are a fun team to watch, and Fitzgerald and Boldin are as good as it gets and they pull out enough big plays to make every game interesting, but I also believe they are fairly easy to stop. Just hit Kurt Warner. As great as Kurt is, he has never responded to being smacked around. Just look at that second half against the Eagles two weeks ago. The Eagle D slammed Warner and he never, ever got going. In fact, had the Cards not played PERFECT football in that first half, they would have been an easy lunch in the end for the Eagles, who just dominated that half of football.
So, in this game, while I expect the Cards will make a few big plays, I also expect some Warner turnovers. He is gonna see pressure, and a lot of it, and his confidence - in himself and his WR's - are going to force him to make some bad decisions. I fully expect to see a pick 6 in this game for the Steelers.
To me, however, the biggest difference will be the Steelers offense versus the Cards D. I have seen absolutely NOTHING from the Cards D that would suggest they can go toe to toe with the Steelers for four quarters.
The Panthers easily moved the ball against them and, if it wasn't for Delhomme playing the worst game ever by a QB, they probably would have won that game outright. Then, as I mentioned, the second half of the NFC Championship game saw the Eagles cut through that Cards D like it was butter. Just one first down after another.
Ben Rothliesberger has been playing great defenses all year long, and finding a way to beat those defenses. This time around, he is gonna find a D that just doesn't match up. They will run the ball effectively, and Big Ben will find his talented corps of receivers down the field plenty of times. They are gonna control the clock and just take chunks of yards at a time. They are going to overpower the Cards.
Trust me, I am hoping for a good game. When your team isn't involved in the Super Bowl you are just hoping for a fun game to watch. However, I just don't see it happening. I think the Cards got on a roll and that roll stops now. A friend of mine described the team the best when he said they remind him of the Colorado Rockies of a few years ago, who just caught fire at the right time but, in the end, just couldn't compete with yet another good team. The Cards did everything they could, and deserve all the credit in the world, but when all is said and done, look for the Steelers to come away with a 30-17 win. At least we can all be rested for work tomorrow, unless you're in the Steel City.

No comments: